Former pilot warns Sydney Airport faces catastrophic safety consequences
- 2 hours ago
- 2 min read

Sydney Airport is facing growing safety concerns after three aircraft incidents in just three weeks, with a former pilot warning that failing to address problems quickly could have serious consequences.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) is investigating the latest incident, which occurred on August 9 when a Qantas aircraft began crossing a runway while a Virgin Australia flight had been cleared for take-off. Air traffic control cancelled the Virgin flight’s clearance shortly afterwards.
Earlier that morning, a Jetstar aircraft reportedly came close to a Qatar Airways Boeing 777 being towed across the airport. The Jetstar aircraft braked suddenly, injuring a cabin crew member.
A separate near-miss involving two Qantas aircraft occurred on July 27.
Former pilot and aviation safety investigator Geoff Klouth said the incidents should not be dismissed as isolated events.
He warned that while no collision has occurred, the current situation could become more dangerous if underlying problems are not addressed.
The ATSB said safety systems worked in all three incidents and helped prevent the situations from escalating. Chief Commissioner Angus Mitchell also stressed that aviation accidents usually involve several safety barriers failing at the same time.
Concerns have also been raised about air traffic controller staffing and fatigue. Airservices Australia said its initial reviews had not identified systemic problems that threatened passenger safety.
The Civil Aviation Safety Authority said the latest incident was of “significant interest” but urged people not to speculate while the ATSB investigation continues.
The federal government says additional measures are already underway. Six controllers are currently training in Sydney, with another 15 expected to begin training before the end of 2027. Changes to roster practices and a new Sydney Tower simulator are also planned.
Airservices Australia said delays at Sydney Airport have fallen by 44 per cent over the past two years, while efforts continue to address the shortage of air traffic controllers.
Stay tuned with Aus News Lanka – the leading platform for news for Australians.
Source : ABC News





































Comments